[cma-l] Station re-brand using the name of successful station prior to takeover

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Wed Feb 17 12:13:47 GMT 2016

We have received the enquiry below from somebody who, for now, wishes to
remain anonymous for reasons of commercial sensitivity:

I wish to remain behind closed doors however, we have been approached by a
3rd party who has managed to copyright the name of a very successful
station prior to a Global takeover.

Intentions are to re-brand their existing service which is on DAB & FM and
we were asked to be a part of it because of our location being that of
where the aforementioned radio station was based, which is something the
3rd party don't have.

Question is - would this work? How would it confuse the market place? Is it
something that has been done elsewhere?

I hope all of this makes sense and that you appreciate my anonymity!

Your opinions please.

Best regards

Bill
--