[cma-l] AM for CR

Tony Bailey ravensound at pilgrimsound.co.uk
Wed Feb 17 09:48:57 GMT 2016

MF/AM (medium/long wave) is a legacy system with older listeners
predominantly, but we, the Aussies and Americans still find it useful.
It is possible to listen to it on a battery powered radio which will run
for days on a couple of AA's.  In the US they even extended the medium
wave band, which could be done here now as many receivers cover up to
1700 kHz. It's ability to cross boundaries has sometimes been useful
although less cost effective now. As always, given relatively free
access to broadcasting excess demand has driven the need to exploit any
available waveband and this will continue until cheap mobile internet
radio takes over.

There are a couple of ways I would look at AM community applications:
Low power AM as a way to get a better deal on music licensing (fingers
crossed!) for an essentially web only radio; or higher power AM coupled
with an online (decent quality) receiver selling promotion to the served
community.  As with FM the transmission site is critical.  Keep away
from domestic housing and look for high ground conductivity, this is
particularly important with short aerials (less than 1/4 wave).  To save
costs, you could reduce power overnight as audience numbers will often
be low and incoming interference high (the permitted power would not
overcome it anyway).  There are still quite a few car radios with AM for
the dedicated listeners.

Tony Bailey

Local Reports at http://www.ravensound.pilgrimsound.co.uk