[cma-l] Future FM Licencing

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Fri Feb 5 12:14:14 GMT 2016

Dear Jane

Thank you for your email.

Your case has been discussed with Ian O'Neill at DCMS and has also been the
subject of a House of Commons debate:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201516/cmhansrd/cm150908/halltext/150908h0001.htm#150908h0001.htm_para120

This can also be viewed online here:

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/e0cbce54-fda8-44e7-a5bc-850e5399624b

In summary, Amanda Milling MP, Cannock Chase, Conservative suggested that
Ofcom could invite applications from stations with special circumstances at
any time along side the current rounds. This suggestion was made with
specific regard to Cannock Radio which was created last year after the
regional round for the West Midlands closed.

Amanda Milling also mentioned a possible Apply-On-Demand system but
admitted that this would require more resources but a premium fee could be
attached to any on-demand licence application to cover any additional staff
which would be required.

In reply, Culture, Communications and Creative Minister Ed Vaizey said he
was a fan of community radio and explained the recent history of community
radio regulation.

Mr Vaizey acknowledged the request regarding Cannock Radio but said any
change to the system could make the application process even slower -
referencing previous rounds where applications were invited from all over
the UK at once resulting in some stations having to wait a long time:

*"The current system of regional rounds, as developed by Ofcom with the
Community Media Association, enables Ofcom to manage the licence process in
a way that is fair and equitable to all comers and to manage all the moving
parts, as it were, in a particular region. The way in which Ofcom manages
that process strikes the right balance between the operational challenges
of managing the licensing process and Ofcom’s aim to license a community
radio station for every community that meets the criteria. It avoids the
situation with earlier rounds where Ofcom initially allowed applications
from all over the UK, resulting in a large number of applications being
submitted, with many applicants having to wait a long time for their
applications to be considered".*

The current licensing round is almost complete, at which point, the
Minister said, it would be a good time for Ofcom to consider alternative
procedures:

*"The third licensing round is due to be completed this year, so it is a
good time for Ofcom to look at whether changes can be made to the design of
the next round to reflect the fact that 230 licensed community radio
stations are on air".*

In addition, he pointed out that small-scale DAB could be an alternative
for Cannock Radio.

*"While I have time, I will quickly mention the role that digital radio can
play in the future of community radio, and perhaps in the future of Cannock
Radio. We are working on a process to give community radio stations and
small independent stations a route through to digital audio broadcasting.
The Government make no secret of the fact that we believe that digital
radio is the future of radio. Digital radio is growing at a significant
rate. As DAB coverage improves significantly between now and 2016, it is
important that we put in place a system to allow community stations to
migrate on to DAB frequencies, particularly where an FM frequency might not
be available".*

Finally, Vaizey revealed that a 4th Round of community radio licensing will
be announced in 2016:

*"I understand that Ofcom will be announcing details of round 4 in 2016,
and I hope that Ofcom will make those details as clear as possible, as soon
as possible".*

Unfortunately, it would appear that there are insufficient resources for
Ofcom to change their current procedures in the immediate future and at
this late stage in Round 3 of licensing it is highly unlikely that they can
be changed substantially when Ofcom's small Community Radio Team is engaged
with the South-East region applications, some involvement with the small-
scale DAB trial, and the London region and AM licence applications to be
opened later on this year.

However we will continue to raise the issue of Cannock Radio at our next
meeting scheduled with DCMS.

Hope that helps and best regards for now

Bill Best
--
Operations Manager
Community Media Association