[cma-l] Fwd: [RADIO-STUDIES] radio.garden wants your stories for Christmas!

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Tue Dec 20 13:43:56 GMT 2016

Fwd:

From: Alec Badenoch <alecbadenoch at GMAIL.COM>

Hi all (apologies for cross-posting)

Many thanks for the kind and wonderful response to radio.garden here.
Things continue to go from strength to strength: in its first week, the
site has had more than 7.5 million views, 6 million unique visitors, 20% of
whom return repeatedly.  We've had press attention in The Guardian, NPR
(thanks for the mention here already, Kevin!), Wired Germany, and many
other venues.

As you will also be aware, radio.garden also needs to grow, in several of
its patches.  The designer Jonathan Puckey, has been working overtime to
accommodate requests for new additions, but there is still plenty of room
for more (Africa is woefully under-represented at the moment).  Please send
these to contact at studio.puckey with

- Station name
- Station website
- Streaming MP3 URL
- City, Country

Beyond that, we also want to make a specific call out to the Radio Studies
community to share your stories (to the extent you haven't already) for the
"stories" layer of the globe.   We are working on seeing how much we can
gather before Christmas.

In terms of content:  stories should reflect the experiences of
transnational listening or production.  This can be listening to radio from
across borders, or stories of migration (temporary or otherwise) where
radio forms a local connection.  Stories from the production side are also
welcome: what is the work of producing transnational radio?  What
translates, what doesn't?  What discoveries do you make in the process?
Please bear in mind, these don't need to be celebratory stories:
transnational listening can also generate disconnection, frustration,
misunderstanding (or very often a complex combination of both).  It is
vital that we capture that as well.

In terms of technical specs:  Stories should be no more than 2 minutes in
length, and on mp3 of at least 160 Mb/sec.  If you don't feel comfortable
doing it in English, feel free do it in your native language and send us an
approximate transcript. (If, like me, English is your native language and
you still feel uncomfortable, I'm afraid I can't help you....;-) )

Oh yes: and don't forget to send us a photo!

You can send these to me (ideally via file transfer): a.w.badenoch at uu.nl.

Wishing you warm and relaxing holidays on behalf of the whole TRE and
radio.garden team,

Alec

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation