[cma-l] PPL & PRS for Music Joint Licence for Community Radio

Phil Edmonds lists at philedmonds.info
Tue Dec 13 17:48:47 GMT 2016

At the risk of repeating my occasional previous contributions on this
topic...

Our PRS / PPL royalties being based on a percentage of commercial income
I think is a pretty fair way of doing things. Say I sell an a few advert
plays and a programme sponsorship to the local curry house for a couple
of hundred quid. A small percent of this income going to music royalties
sounds fine to me - I can just factor this into the 'price' set the same
way as I'd factor in sales commissions or other related costs.

As Alex has highlighted the problem is the 'minimum fee' regime, if you
only have a small amount of commercial activity you can end up paying
more when calculated on a 'percent of commercial income' basis than
another station who has more commercial income.

I'd suggest what we should be fighting for is that this 'minimum fee' is
set at a level which means most stations are paying something closer to
the agreed percentage of commercial revenue level.

Every Community Radio station has to declare their 'Advertising and
Sponsorship' revenue to Ofcom in their Annual Report.

I'd argue that the minimum fee should be based on the sector average for
the previous year as declared to Ofcom.

This would mean that the lower commercial income stations would pay a
fairer minimum fee and those more successful in commercial activities
would pay more than the minimum, but as these extra payments will be
coming from income received from their commercial activities it's then
just a fairly straightforward case of ensuring that the x% of any sales
income is assigned to the "current liabilities" heading and ensuring you
don't spend it on something else!

I don't think Ofcom have published such average figures for a few years.
While I appreciate the full blown 'Community Radio Sector report' they
used to publish takes more resources than they currently have, I'd
suggest the CMA should push for a smaller 'summary of finances' report
to be produced by Ofcom. This would take a significantly smaller amount
of Ofcom staff time to produce and would be very helpful to indicate the
"micro" nature of the community radio sector to both the music royalty
bodies and other parties such as Radio Centre / Commercial Radio who I
still think see community radio as more as competition rather than the
compliment that we probably are.

Phil.