[cma-l] [***SPAM***] Re: update

Bob Tyler bobtyler at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 12 14:07:53 GMT 2016

Alex

The Performing Right is protected under The Copyright Designs and Patents Act (CDPA 1988).

The Act helps to protect a variety of Intellectual Property (as it is referred too).

It protects both the financial (Economic) and the Moral Right and includes written publications, images, works of art, film and music etc.

The Moral Right is to prevent someone claiming they wrote a particular song.

Economically  the author or composer can Assign their rights and also License them.

If I was a composer of radio jingles I can licence any radio station to use them. If they were so good that 1000 radio stations around the world wanted to use then it would makes sense for me to join the PRS and let them collect a royalty on my behalf.

Alternatively, I could assign my work to the Worlds Greatest Jingle Company of Dallas. We could have an agreement involving the marketing and their onward licensing for use by radio stations that wanted to use them.

The company could also ensure that my work was not being stolen or miss used. Some unscrupulous person could record them and broadcast them. This would deprive me of my rights and the company’s rights and would amount to stealing my property.

If I were to record some of your programs and sell them as a podcast for 79p each, I would have committed a criminal offence (under the Act).  However if we make an agreement that I can sell them. You in effect have granted me a licence. We would agree the terms of course. You get say 30p for each one, as I have marketing and streaming costs. Perhaps if I sell a 1000 downloads the agreement might include the right for you to increase your share as I would be making more money.

I am sure we would both be happy. You would have licensed me to exploit your rights and we are both benefitting.

A PRS Licence is simply an agreement that allows a radio station to exploit the Rights of its member’s repertoire.

BT