[cma-l] PPL & PRS for Music Joint Licence for Community Radio

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Sat Dec 3 14:51:01 GMT 2016

Dear All

Hmm ?     where to start ?

I no doubt every single one of us (Canalside included) are beavering away just as we always do to ensure (with the limited resources we have) to produce good programming and a nice co-ordinated and focused Community approach. We do this every Day, morning, noon and night 365 – 24/7 …………….. and can I first say that no one (not even I) have ever wished to ‘fight the establishment’               however, we have to ALL be careful we don’t get hoodwinked here into thinking that we are the ones that are doing wrong, that we are the ones spoiling for a fight and that we are never happy.

None of us started this.

In case folk get that classic ‘selective memory loss’ let me please remind us all that this whole affair (as in rules and regulations) started to go way off-piste (2004) before we had even gotten out of the starting blocks. After about 12 to 18 months it started going downhill faster than a greased Pig to where at one stage (or dare I say a number of stages)    decent, honest, hard working, voluntary people were being put in a situation where they were tearing their hair out and slowly losing the will to live.

The rules and regs that were creating this                 SADLY      half of them STILL remain and we are STILL arguing about some of them 14 years down the line. My view and opinion on this has never changed from the outset and never will until they are all put in a bin bag and dumped down the Council Tip.

Allow me to bore everyone yet again (however this is none of my making as I don’t make the rules)

1)      There are no need whatsoever for restrictions. They achieve nothing except to create ill-feeling and angst + stress of course

2)      What needs to be regulated is the spend. Nothing else needs to be regulated. If we are earning a crust from whatever means and then spending it on what we are mean’t to be spending it on, then there are no issues and no problems. The problems have been created and invented and dreamt up by Commercial Radio because the truth is they do not want us here FULL STOP. So the DCMS and the fraternity need to decide ‘’do we think Community Radio is a good idea or not ?’’      I personally think it is fan-dabby-dozy and monkeeeee magic and I believe most other reasonable minded people think the same.

3)      We (Canalside) have tariffs that in general hover around £400 quid ------- Maths wise, that works out at approx = £1 a quid a Day and when you take the production and set up fee out of it, then slightly less even still. I repeat yet again …. If this threatens the commercial viability of the commercial Radio Station   (in our case Silk plus Signal and Key in this area)   then it is a sorry state of affairs and dare I go as far as to say an embarrassment ! It is so ridiculous it is laughable.

4)      What is wrong with a reasonable and sensible minimum / average fee with no reporting ?  (NBR) (because most of us a spinning 50 plates as it stands)      without consultations, long winded processes, meeting after meeting, debate after debate. This is not rocket science. I have already sent the figures through and the collective amount for PRS/PPL seems reasonable to me seeing as we are all Charitable, not-for-profit etc etc ………    and if Christmas does happen to come early and we get an extra sponsor on-board is it not reasonable for us to be able to spend it on another packet of biscuits or a pot of paint ??      I don’t need to be reporting it PRS/PPL HQ, nor Noddy Holder and/or Elton John. All monies are re-invested into what we do, and to keep the wolves from the doors, pay for more training, put the lights on and buy the cat food. In fact, this is actually my report ………… this is it. I repeat again, on a reasonable average/minimum fee, some will be slightly better off, some will be slightly worse off ---- that’s life. It’s Ground Hog Day and we have been here before, and someone mentioned about running a Station on £17,000 Grand ?????????????    well I’m sorry, that is impossible if you are doing what you are meant to be doing. We’re operating at a struggle on about £40,000 - £45,000 --- ideally we need another £20,000 ………. From previous ‘’’consultations’’’       this is about average.

5)      What is wrong with a Community Station re-visiting the start up procedure, considering that the majority of us were led up the garden path, a bit raw, not very streetwise, and mistakes were made on both sides. Yet again a reasonable and fair approach to this would help everyone. Providing a small transmitter move didn’t affect anyone else or an extra 15 watts just pushed back a Commercial Station from afar ---- where is the problem ???          instead, we are trying to provide (as Pippa says)    a honest and good service that 50% of the folk we are trying to reach can’t listen because we are being trampled all over by a Station 100 Miles away. It’s pathetic, it always has been pathetic, just like all the other rules and everyone should be ashamed.

So to conclude ----- I’m not fighting the establishment, I am merely trying to reason with people and to keep knocking to hope that some folk eventually see sense. I didn’t make the rules, nor did I influence the rules ………. I have however over the years influenced (a little)(I think) the breaking down of some of these rules …. I haven’t done that by remaining tight lipped or ducking down below the trench top.

I truly wish that I hadn’t had to do this as I know in some quarters I have been an irritation ….. unfortunately, if that is how the cookie crumbles, so be it ---- I can sleep at night and hold my head up.

Following the AGM, I would be over the Moon if our team could find the strength and encouragement to go back to day dot with all of this and start again to peg away to get a reasonable solution. I believe what I have written is a reasonable solution.

Let us at least try it ---------- if Commercial Radio Stations start falling down like dominoes then we can tweak it ------ wake up and smell the coffee       ‘’’that ain’t gonna happen’’’

I remind everyone once again …… we are not talking here 2 Years into a project, we are 14 Years in and it has taking this long to get one or two bits of concessions :-

What have we achieved / not achieved on the Radio Politics front in the last 14 Years ???

1)      We’ve achieved Frustration and ill-feeling

2)      We’ve achieved 17 Consultations

3)      We’ve achieved 4 more Consultations on the back of 4 of the 17 that we had already had

4)      We’ve achieved an allowance of no restrictions up £15,000 grand ….. this process took 21 Months (or should I say 10 Years and 21 Months)

5)      We’ve achieved 6 points for when licences run out for a second term ( I was responsible for sticking in point 6 as we only had 5 when it was floated) ---- these are slightly concerning though as no one has heard a dickie bird about them for over 18 Months ???

6)      We’ve achieved that after 6 Years of trying Ofcom seem to be finally having a chin-wag with Ian regarding FM frequencies

We haven’t achieved a rise in the funding Pot, nor have we had a reasonable explanation as to how the Government has suddenly found £8 Million quid from off a Money Tree without a reasonable explanation as to why we can’t have a little slice of it and we invite BBC Folk to our Gatherings who likewise think we shouldn’t have any of it.

We’ve also haven’t managed to get on-air yet some Stations who are have ready to go for 2 Years and are still waiting … Cannock for one ………………….

There are lots and lots of other things I could write and lots of things I could say, but unfortunately we get cut short at meetings because someone has Train to catch.

To round off ---- in a Nutshell I am saying that we do not wish to fight establishments, we merely want to be left alone to do what we are meant to be doing …………….sadly we are not left alone ---- the rules don’t leave us alone. They peck away at us day in and day out.

I am not guilty in any of this and therefore I shall continue to express my thoughts and opinions, whether folk listen or not is another matter ….. quite honestly I don’t care.

One final final thing     it is very obvious that some people on the message board are clearly in the other camp, one passed a comment about 4 days ago, always to the tune of that it is us/we who are being unreasonable ……

Not true

Thank you to everyone who gives their opinions and thoughts on this message board, I happen to think it is helpful and keeps people informed.

Am I touch early ??       Merry Christmas everybody !             oooops, that’s another £5 quid for Noddy     :)

Regards

Nick