[cma-l] PPL & PRS for Music Joint Licence for Community Radio

Martin Steers martin at martinsteers.co.uk
Fri Dec 2 14:55:42 GMT 2016

Dear all,

The CMA has continued to represent the sector and lobby hard for better
terms etc from PPL & PRS, we have won some concessions with the reduced
fees for CR stations who want to simulcast DAB & CR FM/AM. (I think from
memory a saving of £500 a year).. and there are also other areas and work
that still needs to be done as far as I am concerned (RSL fees, SSDAB for
CR/Not for Profits etc).

However other than representation and lobbying as the CMA currently are
doing, I am not sure what else the organisation can do that is responsible
and legal.

The CMA couldnt condone or recommend a boycott of fees or anything else
that could get stations or the CMA into legal hot water, nor can they
engage legal advice without a "warchest".

If the sector wants to come together and put up some money to consider
taking PPL/PRS to copyright tribunal then I am sure the CMA could help
coordinate the effort and bring it all together, but I suspect we would
need at least £10k just to engage a firm to do some ground work.. and the
sector could be looking at tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds to
fully take the case. Not to mention I think the looser pays all the costs
dont they? so that would need to be budgeted for.

As ever I would recommend stations consider the situation, evaluate your
numbers / finances, what counts on NBR etc I suspect 95% of stations would
only pay the minimal fees and if you need someone else to check your
numbers I am sure the office or myself would be more than happy.

Martin

On 2 December 2016 at 14:36, Canalside's The Thread <office at thethread.org.uk