[cma-l] PPL & PRS for Music Joint Licence for Community Radio

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Thu Dec 1 16:33:35 GMT 2016

Thanks Nick.

We welcome the introduction of a single point of contract for licensing and
the reduced requirement for reporting reducing the administrative burden on
community radio stations. Furthermore, payments can be spread over the year
in monthly installments.

The CMA also argued hard, and successfully, for the deal struck for
small-scale DAB simulcasters.

Additionally,  the number of Internet simulcast tiers has been reduced from
three to two and the threshold for the lowest band has been increased to
200 concurrent streams - which will cover the majority of community radio
Internet simulcasts for the short to medium term.

Of course, the CMA argued for a reduction in fees - especially when PPL and
PRS might eventually see some savings in administration of the Joint
Licence in the longer term. However if there were any cost savings in
administration for the licensing agencies then they are beholden to passing
on those savings to their members, the rights holders.

The consultation with the sector was largely supportive of the new
Joint Licence and we reflected all received responses, both for and
against, back to PPL and PRSfM.

The CMA will continue to put the community radio sector's case to the
licensing agencies and maintain a dialogue with them to ensure that they
are aware of our sector's concerns and perspective.

Best regards

Bill
--
Operations Manager