[cma-l] Hereward Television to Benefit From High-Tech Skills Taught to Local Citizens

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Mon Aug 1 13:53:54 BST 2016

*Media training resource for Peterborough and the Fenlands gets ‘thumbs-up’
from the Charity Commission*

Hereward Media took a huge step towards meeting its long-term objectives
this week, as the Charity Commission approved its application to become a
registered charity. The media training provider will introduce high-tech
skills to those seeking different avenues for their future careers, or even
those simply looking for a new and enthralling hobby. The course work
outputs from these beneficiaries will include broadcast content for the
Hereward Television Local TV channel, which will serve Peterborough and the
Fenlands.

In addition, the base of operations will also act as a media resource
centre, serving all sections of the community, but in particular the
under-25s and the ‘baby boomer’ generation upwards, with a focus on those
left behind by recent technological revolutions2. The centre will be easily
accessible by public transport from right across the region.

*Alex Geairns, Station Director for Hereward Media* said: “We have been
working with the Charity Commission for the last few months on how to best
serve our community. We were already a not-for-profit company limited by
guarantee, but now this granting of charity status demonstrates the belief
that this project will bring tangible benefits to our region. The Hereward
Television outlet will differ from other stations in that the content of
shows will not be driven by a quest for ratings, but entirely by the
interests of those who decide to benefit from our free training.”

*Bill Best, Operations Manager of the Community Media Association (CMA)*,
who has been advising Hereward Media on best practice across the sector,
commented: “The Charity Commission has strict criteria for awarding charity
status to organisations which have broadcasting as an ancillary output from
their activities. It became clear to the CMA that Hereward Media will
become a valuable training provider for the Peterborough and Fenlands
populations, bringing new hope, guidance, and direction to its
beneficiaries, and a more qualified and improved talent pool for local
employers to be able to tap into. We are delighted that the Charity
Commission has concurred with our view on this.”

The next stage of the project is to liaise with professional bodies to
arrange accreditation for the courses on offer, and develop training
modules to the best possible standards. In the background, the physical
infrastructure for the project will also be put into place.

For further details, and to register interest in the available training,
visit the website at www.hereward.tv

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation

Canstream Internet Radio & Video
http://www.canstream.co.uk/
https://twitter.com/canstream

*Book your tickets now for the Community Media Conference
2016: http://bit.ly/2016CMAConf <http://bit.ly/2016CMAConf>*