[cma-l] Westminster debate on the 'Process for FM radioapplications'

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Thu Sep 10 15:49:41 BST 2015

Dear All

I had a meeting at Riverside House yesterday . ... I was with Mr Ofcom for
an hour over one or two minor issues    (by the way)(we are not in trouble)
looking out through the glass towards St Pauls we put the radio World to
rights ...I would say the outcome of the meeting was 50/50 .... which is
actually quite good . all will be revealed soon

We discussed '''the debate'''   for 5 minutes or so where I simply pointed
out that it all (in my opinion) ran true to form -------

Everyone is getting over excited .....the process for all of this is very
simple and straightforward . why can't folk grasp it ?   :-)

This is what happens .. please make a note :-

1)       Something is instigated via an observation / or complaint

2)       Correspondence goes back and forth for approximately 9 months

3)       There is a proper discussion / debate either via the individuals
who are immediately affected and/or on a bigger scale via letters from local
MP's to the Secretary of State. Another 6 month pass by. Th3e person who
made the original observation is no longer at the Radio Station for a number
of reasons :- they retired, they moved on, they simply lost the will to live
:-)

4)       The Secretary of State [in fairness to Ed] always gets back to
people and is quite pro-active and polite       I'm not convinced though
that the secretary of state and Ofcom are singing from the same hymn sheet

5)       Number five is where it all starts going off-piste
because :-

We / They / He / She asks a question, makes an observation / complaint /
points out something isn't quite right    ie:- 1 + 1 = 3

THEN = The Secretary of State comes back and tells us everything we already
know ?????  basically it is the same speech that was used lat time and the
time before that              how I see it is ,,,,,,, he's just done it
again !      sprinkle it with a few ''no's''    and hey presto.       We're
back to this age old ''no you can't do that''   ''no, that can't be done''
''that's not permitted''    ''we can't do that because''     but actually
the 'BECAUSE'   actually holds no water, as in most  instances those saying
no can actually be proved wrong.

Most of the things that we are each talking about is as simple as someone
walking into the office one morning, saying    ''YES''      that makes sense
''where's my Pen?''          job done. No one affected, no one harmed, less
aggro for Ofcom, CMA, DCMS.. Us .. people can then get on with what they are
meant to be doing (me included)  instead of moaning, complaining, making
observations, message boards, meetings, bureaucracy .... We may have been
able to train another 25 people in that time spent going round in a circle.

Do they have a democratic process to elect the Secretary of State for the
DCMS ?   if so, when Ed has done his stint could I suggest we put a
candidate forward please ?   I have already worded the chap and he is clued
up now on procedure. He's agreed to give it a go.

Our candidate is now officially the ''Man from Del Monte''         he say
''YES !''

Viva El Hombre del Monte !

:-)

Nick