[cma-l] Lord Hall - BBC and Community Reporters

David Duffy david at theradiopeople.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 16:05:06 BST 2015

Hi Nick,

What I want to understand is why, when it is faced with making a billion pounds worth of cuts from its budget of over £5bn, the BBC is creating a pool of local reporters to share work with local newspapers. What are they sacrificing to make this investment and where is the value to licence fee payers?

We have a serious problem with plurality in the UK.
Just three companies (News UK, DMGT and Trinity Mirror) control nearly 70% of national newspaper circulation.

Just five companies control some 70% of regional daily newspaper circulation.

Out of 406 Local Government Areas, 100 (25%) have no daily local newspaper at all while in 143 LGAs (35% of the total) a single title has a 100% monopoly.

We need to open a debate on media ownership and offer serious proposals for a range of measures to raise the profile of community radio in increasing news pluralism in the UK. A link between the licence-funded BBC and a handful of privately owned shareholder-funded print media companies threatens that plurality and must surely threaten the viability of community media in the news space.

David
theradiopeople.co.uk <http://theradiopeople.co.uk/>