[cma-l] Press release - Community Media Association

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Fri Oct 23 09:20:00 BST 2015

PRESS RELEASE - COMMUNITY MEDIA ASSOCIATION

After four years as a member of the CMA's governing Council and two years
as its elected Chair, Dom Chambers has decided to move on in order to spend
more time on a new project intended to provide business support and advice
to the UK's growing community radio sector.

*Dom Chambers, Station Manager Somer Valley FM:*

"It has been an extraordinarily rewarding and life changing experience
working with the CMA. I have met amazing people making a fantastic
difference through community media. Conversations have been stimulating and
I have particularly enjoyed sharing the experiences of our members.  I am
moving on because I need to spend more time working on funding solutions
for our sector through the development of a dedicated foundation. As
community media expands there has never been a greater need for the CMA. We
must all help it to grow and I wish my colleagues on council well with
their work leading on achieving this. I’d like to make special mention of
Bill Best whose dedication and support of our members is exemplary. Without
Bill there wouldn’t be a CMA. Support him to support us as we all go about
the vital business of delivering community media".

*Danny Lawrence, Director Gateway 97.8FM, Deputy Chair of the Community
Media Association:*

"I have had the pleasure of working with Dom for the last 3 years during
which time he has made great strides in re-energising and refocussing the
role of the CMA and its governing Council to better serve the needs of its
members in the community broadcasting sector. We will continue to implement
the positive things that Dom has done for the CMA and its Board of
Directors and we look forward to working with him in the future".

*Phillippa Sawyer, Director Wycombe Sound and CMA Council member:*

“I joined the CMA because I was inspired by Dom’s energy and enthusiasm.
Dom has led the CMA through a period of uncertainty, but he leaves us as a
stronger organisation, with a vision and focus on the future."

*Bill Best, Operations Manager at the Community Media Association:*

"It has been a privilege to have worked with Dom for the last 4 years
during which time he has been Chair of the CMA, has stabilised the
organisation during a period of decline in external funding and has
reoriented the CMA towards a path of growth and development. The CMA
Council, our governing body, has been reinvigorated and regalvanised under
Dom's leadership and I look forward to working with our current Board
members to continue the work that Dom has set in train. I look forward to
the opportunities that the future holds to work again with Dom to
strengthen, build and empower the community radio sector".

Danny Lawrence will take up the role of Interim Chair of the Community
Media Association with immediate effect pending the election of a new Chair
in December.

+++

EDITORS NOTES

The Community Media Association (CMA) is the national representative body
for community media. It is a not-for-profit organisation founded in 1983
and advocates for the community broadcasting sector to key stakeholders
such as Government.

Membership consists of established organisations, aspirant groups and
individuals within the sector. The CMA provides a range of advice,
information and consultancy, offering support to anyone with an interest in
community broadcasting.

For more information contact Bill Best, Community Media Association on 0114
279 5219, Danny Lawrence on 07903 265726, or Dom Chambers on 07802 457396.

Website: http://www.commedia.org.uk/