[cma-l] From Dom Chambers, Somer Valley FM

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Fri Oct 23 09:18:59 BST 2015

To CMA members,

This is to let you know that yesterday I stepped down as chair of the CMA.

It has been an extraordinarily rewarding and life changing experience
working with the CMA. I have met amazing people making a fantastic
difference through community media. We are a vibrant and growing phenomenon
that is all the richer for its grass roots base. The media establishment is
trying to work out what it is all about. As it juggles attitudes ranging
from admiration to outright horror I strongly sense that appetites across
all arenas, the wider public to governing circles, are growing for our
positive force for social change or media with ‘good stuff’ as I like to
put it. As society tries to make sense of us and we build our presence in
the media landscape there has never been a greater need for the CMA. We
must all help it to grow and I wish my colleagues on Council well with
their work leading on achieving this. I’d like to make special mention of
Bill Best whose dedication and support of our members is exemplary. Without
Bill there wouldn’t be a CMA. Support him to support us as we all go about
the vital business of delivering community media.

Visiting and talking with our members has been the most rewarding part of
my work with the CMA. It is pretty obvious but those conversations confirm
that funding is the principal challenge for our sector. For some time I
have been increasingly focussed on finding funding solutions. This work has
now reached the point where I need to give more time to realising the
ambition of building a dedicated foundation charity. That is why I need to
now step away from the chairs role. I think there is much to be learned
from the Australian model of community radio where the representative
organisation works in close collaboration with an enabling charity. That
work will mean that I will always value and support the CMA from whatever
platforms my work takes me to.

>From Glasgow to Glastonbury the conversations have been deeply stimulating
but they are not done with. My appetite for learning about and sharing the
experience of people right across community media remains unstinted. May
there be many more. If you ever chance upon that remarkable pocket of
England that lies between Bath and Wells known as the Somer Valley then do
pop in. I’ll get the kettle on and conversation will flow.

Best wishes

Dom

[image: Dom 1]

*Dom Chambers*
Station Manager/Sales

*Somer Valley FM 97.5 *

*Award winning radio for Local News, Sports & Great Music!*

*Telephone: *01761 568 004 / 01761 411755 (Ext: 150)
*Mobile*: 07802 457 396
*Email 1:* manager at somervalleyfm.co.uk
*Email 2:* sales at somervalleyfm.co.uk
*Personal Twitter:* @TheDomChambers
*Web*: www.somervalleyfm.co.uk

Somer Valley Community Radio Ltd, St. Chads Avenue, Midsomer Norton,
Somerset, BA3 2HG
[image: sv_green] <http://www.somervalleyfm.co.uk/audio.html>[image: tumb]
<http://www.somervalleyfm.tumblr.com/>[image: Twitter]
<http://www.twitter.com/somervalleyfm>[image: FB]