[cma-l] Launch of West Wolds Radio

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Mon Nov 30 13:08:04 GMT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tony Barker <tony.barker at linkage.org.uk>

East Yorkshire MP Sir Greg Knight has officially launched the newest radio
station in the country.

The MP was the first guest on Pocklington-based West Wolds Radio which went
live on Sunday 29th November  at 10.31am on 103.1FM and online.  The first
song played by the station was “It’s A Beautiful Day” by Michael Buble.

Interviewed on West Wolds Weekend, the MP told presenters Tony Barker and
Stuart Cocker how delighted he was that the medium of radio continues to
grow. It was also his first radio station launch.

As well as Sir Greg Knight, the first programme featured live interviews
with Paul Waddington, the chairman of the Pocklington Canal Amenity
Society, Richard Bower from Pocklington Town Football Club, pre-recorded
material from the latest big production by students at Woldgate College,
and guests from the town’s amateur dramatic society, Pocklington
Productions.

The station, which was granted a licence in April 2014, is broadcasting
from studios in Market Street, Pocklington Town Centre, to a population of
around 11,000.

Station Manager Stuart Cocker says: “It was a great start with a programme
of music and guests to put Pocklington and surrounding villages in the
spotlight. Each day, we will have local people on the radio with their
stories, plus an events guide and great music.”

Deputy Chairman Tony Barker says: “I attended the Oklahoma production at
Woldgate College and recorded interviews on the night. To me, the material
we broadcast epitomised what community radio is about and celebrated the
talent of local people.”

West Wolds Radio can be heard on 103.1FM, online via westwoldsradio.co.uk
and via the TuneIn app on mobiles.