[cma-l] Major Incident Planning

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Thu Nov 26 12:10:19 GMT 2015

As a starting point Eddie, there are Emergency and Obituary procedures laid down in the old Radio Authority codes. I think Ofcom takes more of a view that it is for stations to decide what is appropriate and take the consequences if it goes wrong, which is how they operate most content aspects of radio. I would say st the very least your presenters should have to hand an 'obit' playlist that in the event of a relevant situation occurring they should be instructed to play instead of normal programming until station management decides what to do further.

>From http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/other-codes/news_current_affairs.pdf section 8 - it's a bit out of date in that it refers to the Radio Authority and IRN - maybe there is a more up to date copy:

Emergency and Obituary Procedures

Where appropriate, Licence Holders should make advance arrangements for normal programming to be
interrupted and, if need be, changed, following local, national or international emergencies, or the
deaths of certain eminent or generally much beloved national and international figures, including some
members of the British Royal Family. Each circumstance is likely to be different but stations may
suspend normal output and make arrangements which they feel will suit the mood of their audiences
in the particular circumstances. This may mean a station will vary its programming temporarily beyond
the limits of its Format/Promise of Performance. Under the terms of the licence, such circumstances
would be regarded as 'exceptional' and legitimate variations to a Format would be permitted without
prior approval.

All output, and particularly those items scheduled in advance, such as music and advertisements,
should be checked to ensure that nothing is broadcast which might in the changed circumstances offend
against good taste or decency or public feeling. It may be advisable to suspend all advertisements for a
short period. At an appropriate time national newspapers may wish to advertise their coverage of a
death or incident, and particular care should be taken with the content and scheduling of these.
Licensees' broadcasting employees must be regularly reminded of the procedures and the location or
source of any special programme material.

Names of people likely to fall into this category are available from providers of national broadcast news
services, such as IRN, who will usually announce such deaths and can offer programming guidance in
emergencies. The Radio Authority publishes a more detailed guidance note to assist with decisions and
IRN has produced a booklet on its Obituary Procedure, both available to Licensees on request.

Emergency and Obituary ProceduresWhere appropriate, Licence Holders should make advance arrangements for normal programming to beinterrupted and, if need be, changed, following local, national or international emergencies, or thedeaths of certain eminent or generally much beloved national and international figures, including somemembers of the British Royal Family. Each circumstance is likely to be different but stations maysuspend normal output and make arrangements which they feel will suit the mood of their audiencesin the particular circumstances. This may mean a station will vary its programming temporarily beyondthe limits of its Format/Promise of Performance. Under the terms of the licence, such circumstanceswould be regarded as 'exceptional' and legitimate variations to a Format would be permitted withoutprior approval.All output, and particularly those items scheduled in advance, such as music and advertisements,should be checked to ensure that nothing is broadcast which might in the changed circumstances offendagainst good taste or decency or public feeling. It may be advisable to suspend all advertisements for ashort period. At an appropriate time national newspapers may wish to advertise their coverage of adeath or incident, and particular care should be taken with the content and scheduling of these.Licensees' broadcasting employees must be regularly reminded of the procedures and the location orsource of any special programme material.Names of people likely to fall into this category are available from providers of national broadcast newsservices, such as IRN, who will usually announce such deaths and can offer programming guidance inemergencies. The Radio Authority publishes a more detailed guidance note to assist with decisions andIRN has produced a booklet on its Obituary Procedure, both available to Licensees on requestEmergency and Obituary ProceduresWhere appropriate, Licence Holders should make advance arrangements for normal programming to beinterrupted and, if need be, changed, following local, national or international emergencies, or thedeaths of certain eminent or generally much beloved national and international figures, including somemembers of the British Royal Family. Each circumstance is likely to be different but stations maysuspend normal output and make arrangements which they feel will suit the mood of their audiencesin the particular circumstances. This may mean a station will vary its programming temporarily beyondthe limits of its Format/Promise of Performance. Under the terms of the licence, such circumstanceswould be regarded as 'exceptional' and legitimate variations to a Format would be permitted withoutprior approval.All output, and particularly those items scheduled in advance, such as music and advertisements,should be checked to ensure that nothing is broadcast which might in the changed circumstances offendagainst good taste or decency or public feeling. It may be advisable to suspend all advertisements for ashort period. At an appropriate time national newspapers may wish to advertise their coverage of adeath or incident, and particular care should be taken with the content and scheduling of these.Licensees' broadcasting employees must be regularly reminded of the procedures and the location orsource of any special programme material.Names of people likely to fall into this category are available from providers of national broadcast newsservices, such as IRN, who will usually announce such deaths and can offer programming guidance inemergencies. The Radio Authority publishes a more detailed guidance note to assist with decisions andIRN has produced a booklet on its Obituary Procedure, both available to Licensees on requestAlex