[cma-l] Operating company

Phil Gibbons philjgibbons at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 14:43:36 GMT 2015

Hello,

Please be clear as to what your 'arts and mems' say as this is from the
Ofcom rules on Community radio station ownership:

Who can hold a community radio licence?

Individuals are not entitled to hold a licence. We only offer licences to
registered companies (or equivalent bodies such as those created by
statute). No company or organisation can hold more than one community radio
licence. There are also restrictions on ownership between commercial radio
and community radio.
What does not for profit mean?

It means any profits generated by the community radio station cannot be
given to shareholders for example, or to benefit the people running the
service. However, this requirement does not prevent stations from paying
staff. Any profit or surplus must be used for securing or improving the
future provision of the radio service or for delivering social
gain/community benefits to the station's target community.

Source:
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio/radio/a-guide-to-community-radio/