[cma-l] Community Radio Non Domestic Business Rates

Ray C rayc1066 at yahoo.com
Tue May 26 17:28:04 BST 2015

Hi guys
As a community organisation as we all are, we have received some very concerning news just today. We were allowed 100% tax relief up until this year by the local authority, however due to some alleged changes in local government policies which now apparently state that a not for profit local community radio station is now deemed as a commercial operator and this has resulted in us receiving a council tax demand of around £1500 per month, as you can appreciate we literally fell of our chair, all of a sudden the local authority feel that we do not relieve them of any burden and therefore we have to be treated as a commercial entity. Has anyone else had a similar experience? If so how did you deal with such a massive hurdle, what steps could we now take to fight this. The CEO of the local authority here in Slough also uses our service, and the council in general use us to relay a whole host of information day to day to local residents, we are at a loss and have started an appeals process as well as written off to our local MP for assistance.
Any ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards
Ray CAsian Star Radio (Slough)