[cma-l] RSL Allocations

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Fri May 22 12:49:16 BST 2015

The point was made to me that in the draw situation I mentioned last week (below), that Ofcom was in a situation with only two balls in the jar - one for a 1-day RSL bringing in £470 in fees - and the other for a 30-day licence bringing in £2500.The one chosen was the one that brought in the extra £2030.Wasn't that a lucky choice?
One of our friends here also made the point to me in private about the three Live at Wimbledon Radio RSLs which run each year on 87.7, 96.3 and 97.8.
This year Wimbledon is on from 29 June to 13 July - and Ramadan/Eid is from 18 June to 18 July (approximately, depending on location) - so they overlap.What would have happened I wonder if there had been three Ramadan applications for that area?
 and the decision had been put into the lottery draw situation.
On the Ofcom random selection basis we might have had three Ramadan stations running in SW London - and no Wimbledon commentary broadcasts.Mmmmmm - I wonder.Makes you think - doesn't it?

In the licence announcements for the Ramadan period, one of our Clients received a licence for his 30-day broadcast and another was refused a 1-day licence for a prestige sporting event at a world class Olympic venue.Why?
Because Ofcom said only one frequency was available drew the one lucky ball from a jar.In the course of preparation for the licensed broadcast it came up in conversation that the Licensee was very concerned that his award of a licence had prevented another organisation from having a 1-day broadcast - mainly because Ofcom had said that there is only one frequency available.I quote from his message:"......... if (he) would prefer to do it this year I would much rather accommodate him. I don't believe our signal reaches (his secluded site) and we could easily reduce it for the day. Please do convey our offer to him. I believe it will work in both of our interests if we can accommodate each other in years to come rather than compete for a licence........" If essentially non-competitive RSL operators can agree to help each other in this way it seems such a pity that Ofcom is unwilling to even consider an equal level of tolerance.

Reply - cma-l at commedia.org.uk

Glyn Roylance - Principal Consultant

Associated Broadcast Consultants