[cma-l] RSL Allocations

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Mon May 18 14:40:32 BST 2015

In the licence announcements for the Ramadan period, one of our Clients received a licence for his 30-day broadcast and another was refused a 1-day licence for a prestige sporting event at a world class Olympic venue.Why?
Because Ofcom said only one frequency was available drew the one lucky ball from a jar.In the course of preparation for the licensed broadcast it came up in conversation that the Licensee was very concerned that his award of a licence had prevented another organisation from having a 1-day broadcast - mainly because Ofcom had said that there is only one frequency available.I quote from his message:"......... if (he) would prefer to do it this year I would much rather accommodate him. I don't believe our signal reaches (his secluded site) and we could easily reduce it for the day. Please do convey our offer to him. I believe it will work in both of our interests if we can accommodate each other in years to come rather than compete for a licence........" If essentially non-competitive RSL operators can agree to help each other in this way it seems such a pity that Ofcom is unwilling to even consider an equal level of tolerance.