[cma-l] Radio Verulam wins St Albans Mayor's Pride Voluntary Sector Award

Clive Glover clivegloveruk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 09:30:16 GMT 2015

Sometimes we need to pat ourselves on our back and today is such an occasion!

Last night Radio Verulam won the "Voluntary Sector Award" at the St Albans Mayor's Pride Awards.

This is an annual event in our beautiful home City. The Mayor's Pride Awards honour "extraordinary individuals and outstanding organisations in St Albans District".

We were broadcasting the event live so it was a surprise - and an honour - to be given this prestigious award by Cllr Geoff Harrison, the Mayor of St Albans, during the programme!

He said: “I was overwhelmed to read about all the wonderful things that the nominees for these awards are doing for our community. It was a real privilege to learn more about the unsung heroes and a very difficult task for all the judges to decide on the final short list.”

This event was just one of three local outside events Radio Verulam broadcast this week alone which were another Awards Ceremony for a secondary schools business competition, the Dragon's Apprentice Challenge and an Election hustings including all the St Albans Parliamentary candidates organised by the St Albans Chamber of Commerce.

Radio Verulam is completely run by volunteers - now nearly 100 of us - and we could not manage without their incredible enthusiasm plus their time, efforts and expertise.

We have recently completed a total refurbishment of our studios including all new equipment and software, new transmitter and antenna and we will be refreshing the entire station sound including some new programmes and presenters after Easter. This has only been possible because of the huge efforts of our volunteers over the past year and the support from the local business community who sponsor many of our programmes and advertise with us plus local grant funders who have continued to fund our volunteer training projects in particular.

..... And anyone else who knows us!

Clive Glover
Radio Verulam 92.6 FM

www.radioverulam.com