[cma-l] Ofcom

Eddie Stuart eddie at kcr.fm
Fri Mar 27 03:14:47 GMT 2015

For ours (Scotland was more recent than Martin!!), it was a good while before any decisions were announced. Then they came in small tranches, so if Ofcom announce a few from your part of the world, it doesn't mean that you haven't been successful, just that you have to wait longer. For us, that was a year long wait.....

Then, finally, we got a letter which was also emailed to us and shortly after, the official announcement was made.

We then had 2 years to get on-air so we didn't know our actual frequency until a lot of the technical stuff had been dealt with - for us about 15mths into the 2yr period.

We had been working on our application since 2010 and in detail since early 2011. The application window was late 2011/early 2012. We applied towards the end of our application window in January 2012 (where you are at now). We were awarded our licence in Jan 2013 and went live in Oct 2014.

To our surprise, having detailed the technical details in our application, our award letter said that the first thing to do was to write to Ofcom engineering and give them the technical details.

There are those who will write screeds repeatedly railing about things like this. Don't waste your breath, just do it.

Ofcom don't make the rules, they are the regulator. The individuals there were extremely approachable, friendly and helpful with us, despite all my "daft laddie" questions! The bureaucracy has a system - just follow it.

The CMA & its members will likewise bend over backwards to help - we have had detailed direct conversations with the CMA & several CR stations which helped enormously for which KCR is extremely grateful.

All the very best!!!!

Cheers,

Eddie

KCR broadcasts across Moray and beyond on 107.7FM
and to the world on the internet at http://kcr.fm

KCR is the operating name of Keith Community Radio Ltd.
Registered in Scotland: No SC 173805
Registered Office: 59a Land Street, Keith, Banffshire, AB55 5AN