[cma-l] NNBC successful in its bid to run a community radio station in Northampton - congratulations!

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Thu Mar 19 17:52:13 GMT 2015

Press release:

A local radio group in Northampton has been awarded a community radio
licence for
Northampton. The application, a joint venture with the University of
Northampton, has been in
the planning stages for over two years. The licence will run for a period
of five years and
NNBC will broadcast on FM.

Terry Doyle, Station Manager at Northampton’s newest radio station, says
“I’m delighted that Ofcom
has approved our application and the hard work begins now. NNBC will
provide an original,
innovative and truly local radio service aimed at the clearly identifiable
community that live, learn,
work and play in Northampton and its environs”

Chair of the new community radio station, and former Northampton MP Tony
Clarke said "We
are delighted with Ofcom's decision, and the ongoing support from the
University, as a board we
have felt that Northampton's local media offer needed a boost, and its
people a voice, we want
to showcase the best of Northampton and provide news, music and spoken word
content which
is fresh and relevant to the local community. We have a lot of work ahead
of us now to give birth
to the new station, but our intention is be on air in the summer of 2015".

Local speech output is what defines community radio, yet it’s the most
expensive to create and the
most difficult to sustain. NNBC solved this dilemma through its unique
partnership with the University
of Northampton. Media and Journalism students from the University will
provide a significant amount
of the talent that will enable NNBC to create quality local speech content.

Steve Taylor, deputy dean of the School of the Arts at the University of
Northampton, added: “The
granting of a licence for NNBC to broadcast for five years is fantastic
news for the people of
Northampton and our students. Those studying our Multimedia Journalism
course will be able to
benefit from real-world experience by assisting with production, content
and presenting duties – all of
which will increase their future employability.”

More about NNBC and a copy of our successful application document is
available at
www.nnbc.co.uk

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation