[cma-l] Community Radio (Amendment) Order 2015, 2:30pm Tuesday 17th March, Consideration in Grand Committee - Lord Gardiner of Kimble

Phil Edmonds lists at philedmonds.info
Tue Mar 17 17:14:56 GMT 2015

Interesting reading the CMA's briefing note.

A couple of observations, it says:
"CMA analysis indicates there to be 88 commercial stations
broadcasting to a population of fewer than 150,000). Out of these 88
stations only 20 can be considered to be ‘genuinely independent’ "

I'd concur almost. The last Ofcom published information on coverage
areas I've seen (dated 9 May 2013) lists 89 'Analogue local' licences
with MCA's under 150k. You need to discount Nevis FM who surrendered
their 'commercial' licence when awarded a Community Radio licence.
Furthermore recently Radio Hafren ceased operation, leaving 87 stations.

However of these I'd classify eight of the small Scottish stations as
"Community Radio stations with legacy 'ILR' licences". So that leaves
only six small commercial radio stations who are 'independent" of a group.

I also quote from the CMA document
"The most significant change to previous restrictions on advertising and
programme sponsorship revenue is the introduction of a threshold of
£15,000 commercial revenue, below which the restrictions will no longer
apply. This has two important effects.
First, it will allow 18 stations that were previously prevented from
receiving such revenues, to receive up to £15,000."

I'd like to have a list of these 18 stations, as it's something that
doesn't appear to be published by Ofcom. I'm trying to do some research
into the "real world" effects of a community station near a small
commercial station, but struggling to find a full list of CR's with
restrictions.

Phil.