[cma-l] DAB trials

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Mon Mar 9 11:26:53 GMT 2015

Again, you would think that if Ofcom wants to get full value from this trial, it would be checking the performance of a few different amplifiers in the field, rather than using only one sort of kit throughout. Practical trials of performance and reliability of a few off-the-shelf amplifiers is exactly the sort of useful experience that could come from a trial like this, and be uneconomic for any individual station to do. That would be a real service to the industry, rather than insisting on multiple tests of proven technology such as feeding multiple programmes sources to the transmitter site, which will probably yield little that we don't already know.

I guess one option for a potential pilot user who successfully argues for higher power would be to use a multi-antenna array on the end of the standard-issue Ofcom kit - eg if the kit is based on a single dipole, you could use four stacked dipoles to take it up to around 400-500W erp. That would probably be cheaper than a fresh higher power amplifier, and would be cheaper to run, though it would be getting on for 6 metres high, so it would need a decent sized support structure!

Alex