[cma-l] DAB trial

David Duffy david at theradiopeople.co.uk
Sat Mar 7 18:50:11 GMT 2015

Hi Alex,

As I said, although the regulatory framework for rollout of local DAB (small scale DAB) has not yet been consulted on, I think it’s safe to say that it will not be offered exclusively for social/public ownership.  I would refer you to Ed Vaizey’s interview yesterday on Panjab Radio (prospective content provider on National D2). Not only is Ed keen to stay on at the DCMS if the present Government is re-elected, he is committed to greater relaxation in regulation.

So, I predict that ownership will decided along the same that we see with the current tendering process for national DAB D2. This will be on the grounds of financial sustainability, expertise and previous experience, and the bouquet of content providers that you can bring to your mux - listener choice.  make no mistake, large commercial operators will be interested in this initiative - not because it provides a platform for their content (they’ll already have a more cost effective regional and national DAB presence) - but because they will be able to influence and shape how radio develops in the UK.  Plus it pays for itself!

The consensus from various informed sources is that, if successful, this will role out with first multiplex licences being advertise from 2017/18 onwards.  Watch this space!

David
www.localDAB.co.uk <http://www.localdab.co.uk/>