[cma-l] Small Scale DAB

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Sat Mar 7 13:57:11 GMT 2015

That applies to your FM as well Tony (they can require it turned off at any time if it is causing serious technical issues or interference arise). But it's a risk to base a serious business plan on a 9 month licence with a 'hope' that in reality it would be extended.

I can see the value in 'putting down a marker', but that could be equally well done with a letter to Ofcom (which we did about 3 years ago when the software defined radio system became easy to implement). I have real doubts over the true value to 'the industry' of these trials as trials, as opposed their potential value as a 'shoe-in' for people who want to start as soon as possible, which Ofcom says they are not.

I'm also dubious about the value of 'proving ability' in the way of RSLs. The real ability neede din all cases is the resources and commitment to produce and deliver good value programme content day-in day-out, and the trials will not assess that if they are based on simulcasts, as seems likely.  (When we were starting up we judged that doing RSLs would be a huge and unecessary drain on human and financial resources compared with producing shows in a studio on a regular basis without worrying about their transmission, which is a mechanical process needing relatively little human effort and commitment compared with programme production, and I think that proved true.)

Technical tests on the performance of DAB in any given area are obviously useful to an extent, but pilots aren't terribly likely to be helpful to other stations, since everyone's circumstances differ. Propagation prediction software and experience from existing stations provides a broad guide, but beyond that an actual test is needed in the actual area concerned, so 10 stations testing the idea in their areas is of limited value to others for technical purposes. The best we can hope is that Ofom makes sure there is a good spread of terrains involved, ie only one or two in open countryside, a couple in flat urban areas, a couple in hilly urban areas and a couple in mountainous terrain, or something like that, in each case trialling multiple transmitters, since there is not really anything much left to prove with single transmitters. There would be little point setting up multiple trials in flat town centres or rolling open countryisde.

Testing of multiplexing of multiple services is also pretty much a waste of time, technically at least - lab tests can prove that the system can capable of multplexing properly. The only other issue is successful reliable delivery of the audio feeds, be that by wireless link, cable or IP data, but again those systems are all very well tried and tested, and already in diverse use for existing STLs. The only likely variables are down to issues such as Internet latency and congestion, and these will vary for every single station configuration, so pilots tell you very little of value to other stations in the real world. The big issues are licensing, tx site and commercial arrangements.

About all the trial can do is hope to throw up a few general lessons that were hitherto unsuspected. I doubt many of these will be technical - mostly they will be lessons over the difficulty of getting various bodies to colloborate, or getting realistic licence terms from Ofcom and PPL. However, if in reality they will give an early start and a privileged position to stations that have taken part when it comes to awarding long term licences, they may be of value to the pilot stations. But that is not the professed purpose of the trials.

Alex