[cma-l] Small Scale DAB

David Duffy david at theradiopeople.co.uk
Mon Mar 2 13:03:51 GMT 2015

I just want to share that we have teamed up with transplan UK to offer help and advice to any groups thinking of applying for the recently announced small scale DAB broadcasting trials.

For those who may have missed it, following a consultation last year, Ofcom has announced plans for up to ten trials of small scale DAB across the UK allowing new digital radio services to broadcast to local areas, exploring how groups of radio stations can work together. The trials are expected to run for nine months and the deadline for applications is 3pm on 7 April 2015.

As we all know, the cost of broadcasting on DAB radio is currently beyond the reach of many community radio stations. But this new initiative means that stations could start broadcasting on DAB radio for a fraction of current costs.

For those who don’t know, transplan UK is well respected for implementing small and large scale stations. The Radio People has a successful track record of winning licences on behalf of commercial and community broadcasters. By coming together we hope to have everything covered from the application through to implementation. Whilst Ofcom has invited applications from commercial, community and Internet broadcasters as well as new entrants to the sector, we want to make sure that community radio is well represented both as operators of the multiplex or as a content provider on a mux.

If you have any questions whatsoever then you can email us on our joint email team at localDAB.co.uk <mailto:team at localDAB.co.uk>  You can also follow the trials on Twitter @localDAB <http://www.twitter.com/localDAB>
David
The Radio People

Email:        david at theradiopeople.co.uk <mailto:david at theradiopeople.co.uk>

Website:    www.theradiopeople.co.uk <http://theradiopeople.co.uk/>