[cma-l] Ofcom - Small scale DAB trial licence awards statement

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Fri Jun 12 10:40:40 BST 2015

Source:
http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/radio/digital/small-scale-trial-multiplex-licensing/trial_awards_statement.pdf

On 24 February 2015, we published an Invitation to Apply for trial small sca
le DAB multiplex licences; ten such licences were being made available. By t
he closing date of 7 April 2015, we had received 51 applications. Of those
applications, six did not meet the minimum criteria to be eligible for award
of a trial multiplex licence, primarily because the proposed multiplex did
not include at least two programme services from different providers.

Ofcom is delighted at the level of interest shown in small-scale DAB, as evi
denced by the large number of applications submitted, and we are pleased to
have been able to award all of the ten licences available. However, we are not
able to license more than ten trial multiplexes within the resources current
ly available. The ten successful applicants, including the programme servi
ces proposed by each, are as follows.

*Type 1 single transmitter trial:*

•   Angel Radio (Portsmouth)

o Angel Xtra

o Express FM

o JAMM Radio

o Mango FM

o The Flash

o Triple Hits
•   BFBS Aldershot (Aldershot)

o BFBS Aldershot

o BFBS Radio

o BFBS Gurkha

o Radio Frimley Park

o Radio Woking

o The Breeze
•   Brighton & Hove Radio (Brighton & Hove)

o Juice 107.2

o  Radio Reverb

o  Smile Sussex

o  Totallyradio

o Resonance

o Brighton City Student Radio
•   Celador Radio (Bristol)

o Hub Radio

o BFBS Gurkha

o Ujima Radio

o BSR 103.4fm

o BCfm 93.2

o Somer Valley Radio

o The Breeze

o BFBS Radio
•   Future Digital Norfolk (Norwich)

o Future Radio

o Norwich 99.9

o The Music Machine

o Solar Radio

o Jazz FM

o Totallyradio

o Future Plus
•   Niocast Digital (Manchester)

o Panjab Radio

o Revolution 96.2

o Manchester Business Radio

o The Steve Penk Wind-Up Channel

o Chris Country

o Gaydio
•   Switch Radio (Birmingham)

o Switch Radio

o Scratch Radio

o Gaydio

o Oak FM

o Touch FM

*Type 2 single frequency network trial:*

•   Scrimshaws Information Directories (Glasgow)

o Your Radio

o Celtic Music Radio

o Pulse FM

o Go Radio
•   U.DAB (Greater London)

o Resonance

o London Greek Radio

o Rinse FM

o NuSound Radio

o Reprezent

o Solar Radio

o Crackers Radio

*Type 3 on channel repeater trial:*

•   UKRD (Cambridge)

o Star Radio

o Gaydio

o Chris Country

o Core Radio

o Cambridge 105

 Each application was considered in relation to our published assessment cri
teria; taken as a whole, we considered that the applications listed above de
monstrated that the successful applicants were best able and most likely to
successfully carry out the trial and provided the best documentary evidence,
having regard in particular to the objectives of the trials.

In particular, two of our assessment criteria were the extent to which appli
cants could demonstrate an understanding of the appropriate costs to install
and operate a trial small- scale DAB multiplex, and whether they could dem
onstrate that they would have access to a suitable transmission site. The
applicants listed above were selected in part because of the level of technical
competence and experience they displayed in their applications, and because
they all addressed these two criteria to Ofcom’s satisfaction.

We also indicated that we would favour applicants who proposed to carry prog
ramme services from providers of different size and scale within the multipl
ex, and that one of the key objectives of the trials is to test how well the
available technology lends itself to several parties coordinating their serv
ices into the multiplex. Each of the applicants we have chosen to take part
in the trial proposes to carry at least four programme services, and in part
icular a mix of commercial and community radio services from a range of diff
erent providers.

Finally, each of the applicants we have selected also demonstrated evidence
that they will be able to establish their trial multiplex service within the
required twelve-week timeframe, if not sooner.

The trial multiplex licences will be granted for a period of nine months, an
d as indicated above each successful applicant has 12 weeks from the date of
award to launch their multiplex service. Given the large number of eligible
applications we received, should any successful applicant fail to launch wit
hin this period, Ofcom will endeavour to award a licence to a suitable repl
acement applicant as soon as possible.

The trial licences will include conditions requiring provision of the progra
mme services proposed by each applicant; services can only be added or remov
ed from the multiplex with Ofcom’s permission.

Source:
http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/radio/digital/small-scale-trial-multiplex-licensing/trial_awards_statement.pdf

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation