[cma-l] Pulse is beating again after move to new home

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Thu Jun 11 11:47:43 BST 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------

PRESS RELEASE

Community radio station Pulse 98.4 is back live on air from 08/6/15, after
a three-week shut-down to facilitate a move to new studios.

Pulse, which is run by volunteers and is on air 24 hours a day, seven days
a week, is now headquartered on the St Luke’s High School campus in
Barrhead, Renfrewshire, not far from its previous home at Barrhead High
School.

The station had faced an uncertain future after East Renfrewshire Council
announced massive redevelopment plans for Barrhead High, which included the
demolition of the former janitor’s house, which was home to Pulse 98.4.

But the council, long-time supporters of Pulse 98.4, which is a charitable
organisation, stepped in and helped set up the move to St Luke’s, about a
mile away.

The move keeps Pulse 98.4 in the heart of the community it serves and
allows it to continue to work closely with – and give a valuable voice to –
local organisations, as well as supporting new volunteers who wish to dip
their toes in the world of radio broadcasting.

Raymond Weir, Pulse 98.4 chairman, said: “Our station started out as a
vehicle to showcase local talent, particularly some of the young talent
that exists throughout East Renfrewshire.

“The fact that our new home is once again inside a secondary school is
hugely significant for us and we look forward to establishing a great
working partnership with St Luke’s.

“But wherever we are located, we will always look to promote local talent,
local news and local issues. Pulse 98.4 is the beating heart of the
community.”

Pulse, which is Ofcom regulated, started out as a part-time station in
2006, prior to going full-time in July 2009, and has welcomed big-name
guests into its studios, including X-Factor finalists, author Christopher
Brookmyre and former Radio 1 DJ Ally McCrae, as well as musicians from
across the country.

The station provides an outlet for local news and also supports volunteers
of all ages who wish to develop new skills and gain new experiences.

Pulse 98.4 – which has a varied output, including chat shows, a popular
junior football forum, new music slots and a Polish language programme – is
also on the lookout for anyone who would like to get involved.

Business Development Manager Neil Wilson said: “With our move to our new
home complete we are very much looking to strengthen the station over the
rest of 2015. That includes continuing to work with our existing team and
to hopefully welcome new faces in as well.

“There will be plenty of opportunities to get involved, so we'd encourage
anyone with an interest to get in touch. We're also aiming to work closely
with local groups and organisations to help promote local events and news –
all of which will let us better serve the listeners of East Renfrewshire
and beyond.”

Live broadcasting restarted at 6.30am when Gus Michael presented his
popular Breakfast Show.

He said: “We would like to thank all our listeners who are very loyal and
supportive of the station. We couldn't do it without them.”

Transmitting on the 98.4 FM frequency, Pulse broadcasts to all of South
Glasgow, the city centre, East Renfrewshire, Paisley, Renfrewshire and
Clydebank and online at www.pulseonair.co.uk.

It is also available online at anywhere in the world at tunein, which lets
listeners access 70,000 live global radio stations, with music, sports,
news, talk, and comedy streaming from every continent. It also has more
than two million on-demand programmes, from podcasts to concerts to
interviews.

http://www.pulseonair.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/pulse98.4
http://twitter.com/pulse984