[cma-l] Funky SX and the Lille tranmitter

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Thu Jul 30 12:25:33 BST 2015

Thanks for the observations Marc

Regards

Nick

  _____

From: cma-l-bounces at mailman.commedia.org.uk
[mailto:cma-l-bounces at mailman.commedia.org.uk] On Behalf Of Marc Steele
Sent: 30 July 2015 11:51
To: The Community Media Association Discussion List
Subject: Re: [cma-l] Funky SX and the Lille tranmitter

Hello,

Don't know much about these things chaps, but would not a DIRECTIONAL
ANTENNA set back pointing in the direction of France push them back somewhat
?  or am I on fantasy island ?               over to Ian/Alex and Glyn on
that one. You could fire it straight up the channel tunnel    LOL

You'd just end up interfering with them while they interfere with you. Also,
you'll be somewhat wasting power transmitting to a rather empty expanse of
water.

 We have two Stations interfering with us slightly .....Chorley Cake FM
(SAME FREQUENCY 102.8   but hey, we're all in it together and I know we
interfere with them as well, so it's give and take on that one (we don't
interfere with each other in the core areas though)                 however
Real in Wales coming out of Welshpool 102.8fm are all over us like a bad
rash in Kerridge . we know the reason why though. Our transmitter sits just
behind the Hill and high up on what we call 'ligetts'   and they would be
'line-of-sight' so they tickle away at us . on a bad day, they do come over
the top.

The team over in Erewash have Radio Cymru blasting in on the same frequency.
It means you end up flipping between the two depending on which you're
shielded by hills from at the edge of their coverage area.

I get the feeling it's a common issue. That said, you've only got 25W and
most of the stations I've worked with are terrain limited as well (i.e.
you'll still have patches with this problem, even with a power increase).

As for atmospherics, there's not much you can do about that one. I've seen
incidents in the day job where we loose reception of distant transmitters we
can usually "see" quite well.

Regards,

Marc.

---