[cma-l] Community radio station film

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Tue Jul 21 15:06:41 BST 2015

[Reply to: dan.hammersley at hotmail.co.uk]

Hi

I’m a London-based film-maker currently writing a script for a short piece
of comedy/drama and would very much appreciate some guidance on the
technical and day-to day aspects of running a community radio station.

The general premise of my script is that a radio station has recently been
established in a fictional rural British hamlet/village. The station is
managed by two elderly gentlemen from the village. Some, or as much as
possible, of the radio equipment itself is intended to be entirely
*hand-made* by a younger chap (late 20s) with a background in engineering
and software development. A certain amount of artistic-licence has been
applied here in order to develop the script.

In terms of practically operating the station, the things that I currently
have them doing include:

- Taking calls from local listeners
- Playing music
- Sending a local volunteer out into the field to report back on local
wildlife

What I could use some help with is:

1. A description of what hand-made radio station equipment might look like
and how it might all connect together.
2. Are the things I’ve suggested above technically possible?
3. Are there any other things that would generally stand out as being a
staple part of the schedule in a community radio station.

If anyone is able to offer guidance then I’d very much appreciate you
getting in touch via either of the following means below.

Kind regards,

Daniel Hammersley

dan.hammersley at hotmail.co.uk
07895 758 047