[cma-l] DAB trial, PPL and PRS

Bruce Rodger bruce at celticmusicradio.net
Fri Jul 17 12:05:51 BST 2015

(should we be thinking about setting up  separate forum for those of us involved in the small-scale DB trials?)

Has anyone had any discussion/negotiation regarding PPL and the small-scale DAB pilot?

Shortly after the announcement, PRS contacted us saying that there would be no additional fees for the DAB pilot, assuming that the DAB service was a simulcast of our FM service. Good news.

PPL, on the other hand, contacted us today saying there would be a £500+VAT license for the 9 month period.

This is despite

the DAB service is a pilot
the DAB service is a simulcast of our FM service
the DAB service covers broadly the same area as our FM service
The 500+VAT for 9 months for a pilot/development service is actually MORE than the equivalent fee for a production FM service! (159/quarter)

Does anyone else have difficulty understanding how they justify this?

Bruce.