[cma-l] Is Radio 1 Eleven Times Better than Commercial Radio? – FM Spectrum Consumption in the UK

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Mon Jul 13 10:50:46 BST 2015

It’s a deliberately provocative title – “*Is Radio 1 Eleven Times Better
than Commercial Radio?*”  That is to say, does it deserve to be able to use
11 times more FM spectrum resource per listener than Commercial radio?  We
could equally have asked:-

   - “*Is Radio Cymru fourteen hundred times better than Community radio?*”
    or
   - *“Is BBC Radio 3 three times better than Classic FM?”*

These questions stem from an analysis we have done of the way our FM radio
spectrum is consumed in the UK.  All things being equal, then approximately
the same amount of this precious resource called “spectrum” should be
consumed for each listener.  But as we will see, things are far from equal.
More here from Glyn Roylance:

http://a-bc.co.uk/radio-1-eleven-times-better-commercial-radio-fm-spectrum-utilisation-uk/

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation

*CMA AGM/Conference Saturday 12th September 2015*Canstream Internet Radio &
Video
http://www.canstream.co.uk/
https://twitter.com/canstream