[cma-l] Climate Radio programmes available!

David Duffy david at theradiopeople.co.uk
Fri Jan 30 19:05:11 GMT 2015

Nick, as you know, I respect your enthusiasm but all broadcasters, not just community radio, are required to adhere to the Communications Act 2003 and The Representation of the People Act.  These are enshrined in statute for our benefit and to ensure that broadcasters exercise due impartiality. Otherwise, we could have stations that support one political party over another using that as a means to promote a highly partisan message. I give you Fox News' ‘Fair and Balanced’.  Anyone who has watched Fox News understands the irony in that positioning statement.

All I would recommend to community broadcasters is that they revisit Section 6 of the Broadcasting Code <http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/831190/section6.pdf> and in particular 6.12 where the onus is clearly on the broadcaster - 'Where a candidate is taking part in a programme on any matter, after the election has been called, s/he must not be given the opportunity to make constituency points, or electoral area points about the constituency or electoral area in which s/he is standing, when no other candidates will be given a similar opportunity.’

It has been mentioned previously that Ofcom is a reactive rather than proactive disciplinarian.  If there is one time during your 5-year licence that an unhappy listener is likely to complain to Ofcom it’s during the run up to an election.  People get very worked up over this kind of stuff!

David

David Duffy is a Senior Partner with - providing professional consultancy and services to commercial and community broadcasters worldwide.

M: 07817 990760
T: @theradiopeople <http://www.twitter.com/theradiopeople>
F: facebook.com/theradiopeople <https://www.facebook.com/theradiopeopleuk>
L:  linkedin.com/in/davidgduffy <http://uk.linkedin.com/in/davidgduffy/>