[cma-l] FW: Ed Vaizey talks to Dom Chambers: Community Radio (Amendment) Order 2015 - Full interview

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Mon Jan 26 19:03:15 GMT 2015

Dear All

What a wonderful interview, well delivered, excellent questions and well
handled by Mr Vaizey who I have to say has now convinced me that he is
‘’’for’’’ Community Radio.

There are a lot of things he understands about Community Radio, far more
things than what he doesn’t get. There were actually times during the
interview where Dom and Ed were on the same team.

However

. There was some clever ducking and diving. The one that caught
my eye was the FUND       Dom put forward a very valid point   re:- the fund

 it wasn’t answered, and if it was, it was wishy washy. A suggestion was
made to dip into the BBC Pot / TV Pot / Digital switchover Pot

 no answer
as such. I was looking for a positive ‘’we need to get the money from
somewhere !’’          I also would have liked the question elaborated when
Dom pointed out the fund hadn’t risen as from 15 Stations to 200   it was
sat up waiting for a sledgehammer    ‘’well Mr Vaizey, what figure do you
think is adequate for the fund’’                  In my opinion we ought to
be at 5 Million now, of course equally divided out.

Interesting that he didn’t want competitive tendering for licences   I AGREE
TOTALLY  we suggested that one and it was nice for him to understand what
issues could arise. It wasn’t elaborated on, but as I have said before, the
ones (Stations/People) we know about now and the ones that have made
themselves known are the genuine Community Radio fraternity
. Those
crawling out of the woodwork now are the ones with different motives.

But alas ..no competitive tendering, and yet we have competition and
tendering for the Community Radio Fund ??????    a slight contradiction and
a shift of the goalposts I think.

It all doesn’t quite look as dead a Duck as I thought it was, and there
clearly is a good relationship between the CMA and the Department. But, it
brings us around the age old ‘’actions speak louder than words’’

. I
think we’ll know more after Mays election.

As for the BBC providing us with a National International News service FOR
FREE, one that we all feed into
..what a great idea !      I missed that
one  :-)   LOL     the trouble is that one a monetary front, it only saves
us £350 quid    so ?????    I always thought the discussion was more to do
with BBC Local Radio

Anyway, very good, and a positive from me.     For the interview 9/10
for the replies 8/10     for the not answering some of the questions and/or
answering them with a statement about things we already know a 10 from Len
on that one, although this is Eds strength  LOL   :-)       for the end
result re the consultation   5/10       for a slightly more optimistic look
into the future than what I had on Friday  7/10           and for just
seeing two lovely people having a chin wag in a nice calm pleasant relaxed
democratic atmosphere another 10 from Len

Good stuff chaps

I’m just going through the Radio order at the moment. Sadly I can’t find the
bit yet where it says if you blow smoke up the Chairman of the CMA’S /
Secretary of State for DCMS (bottoms)  it guarantees a bigger Radio Fund.
Perhaps we get that one in a.s.a.p. and then all will be luvly jubbly

Onwards and Upwards              ‘’one small step for man (£15,000 grands
worth) hopefully one giant step for Community Radio-kind’’ in the future
.
In the Year 2525 !

Nick

  _____