[cma-l] Community Radio Consultation

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 22 23:06:37 GMT 2015

I'm sorry - I'm a day behind with all this - I've been out on site getting our 52nd CR transmitter on air.
Having had a brief glance through the Amendment, I'd summarise it as:
The Government is planning to bring forward changes that mean that all CR stations will maybe be allowed to raise £15,000 from advertising from their own efforts regardless of present restrictions and the said present restrictions on advertising still remain in force after that amount.Ofcom will allow another 5 years on existing licences as it has done previously.Is that all?
Have we waited for over two years for just this?How many people slaving away day and night did it take to produce this?
Am I the only one here that feels insulted by this utterly valueless handout?And then to cap it all we predictably have the Commercials' Union - the RadioCentre - crying foul?All those money-grabbing Community weevils stealing our customers!Nothing personal - but it make you wonder what colour the sky is on Siobhan Kenny's planet.The  Government  is  therefore  planning  to  bring  forward  the  following  package  of changes to the Community Radio Order 2004•For  allcommunity  radio  stations  to  be  able  to  raise  annual  income  to  a maximumlevel   of   £15,000   from advertising   and/orsponsorship   before application  of  any  other  current  rule  (i.e. 50%  of  annual  income  from advertising and/or sponsorship applies).•For  small  community  radio  stations operatingin  the  same  locality  of  a  small commercial station(where the commercial station takes no benefit under the Digital  Economy  Act  2010) to  now  take  income  from advertising  and/or sponsorship to a maximum level of £15,000.•For  small  community  radio  stations  operating  in  a  same  locality  of  a  small commercial   station (where   the   commercial   station or   group   of   stations receives  a  benefit  under  the  Digital  Economy  Act  2010 i.e.shares  local  or programmes  costs)  then  the  communityradio  station  willtake  income  fromadvertising and/or sponsorship at a maxmium of £15,000and,asdetermined by Ofcom,an additional level of annual incomeof up to50%from advertising and/or sponsorship. ExampleWhere a communityadio stationhas an annual income of £100,000 it would be  allowed  to  raise  £15,000  per  annum  from  advertising  and/or  sponsorship and  a  further  50%  (maximum)  of  their  annualincome  disregarding  the £15,000  (i.e.  (£100,000-£15,000=£85,000)x  0.5=£42,500)  from  the  same sources.  The total raised would be(£15,000+£42,000) £57,500.•To  provide  Ofcom  with  power  to  extendlicence  for  community  radio  for  a furtherterm of up to 5 years, where it is satisfied the community radio station continues to meet its licencing conditions.  This will allow licences to increase from current total of 10 years to 15 years. The  Government  is  therefore  planning  to  bring  forward  the  following  package  of changes to the Community Radio Order 2004•For  allcommunity  radio  stations  to  be  able  to  raise  annual  income  to  a maximumlevel   of   £15,000   from advertising   and/orsponsorship   before application  of  any  other  current  rule  (i.e. 50%  of  annual  income  from advertising and/or sponsorship applies).•For  small  community  radio  stations operatingin  the  same  locality  of  a  small commercial station(where the commercial station takes no benefit under the Digital  Economy  Act  2010) to  now  take  income  from advertising  and/or sponsorship to a maximum level of £15,000.•For  small  community  radio  stations  operating  in  a  same  locality  of  a  small commercial   station (where   the   commercial   station or   group   of   stations receives  a  benefit  under  the  Digital  Economy  Act  2010 i.e.shares  local  or programmes  costs)  then  the  communityradio  station  willtake  income  fromadvertising and/or sponsorship at a maxmium of £15,000and,asdetermined by Ofcom,an additional level of annual incomeof up to50%from advertising and/or sponsorship. ExampleWhere a communityadio stationhas an annual income of £100,000 it would be  allowed  to  raise  £15,000  per  annum  from  advertising  and/or  sponsorship and  a  further  50%  (maximum)  of  their  annualincome  disregarding  the £15,000  (i.e.  (£100,000-£15,000=£85,000)x  0.5=£42,500)  from  the  same sources.  The total raised would be(£15,000+£42,000) £57,500.•To  provide  Ofcom  with  power  to  extendlicence  for  community  radio  for  a furtherterm of up to 5 years, where it is satisfied the community radio station continues to meet its licencing conditions.  This will allow licences to increase from current total of 10 years to 15 years.