[cma-l] Community Radio Consultation Report - Summary of GovernmentResponses

Associated Broadcast Consultants info at a-bc.co.uk
Thu Jan 22 14:37:27 GMT 2015

It's rather informative to read the impact assessment - copied below (shame
Ofcom can't use spell-check!).  By their own admission have gone for modest
change.   Personally the rebel in me would have gone for option 4 -
commercial can still be community - I've seen it first hand in Ireland in
the 1980's.   Instead we are left with BBC, Semi-National and Shoestring
radio.  I see a real and ongoing gap for local/community radio.

Glyn Roylance
Principal Consultant
Associated Broadcast Consultants <http://a-bc.co.uk>

*What policy options have been considered, including any alternatives to
regulation? Please justify*
*preferred option (further details in Evidence Base)*
*1. Do Nothing - This would not address the issue identified*
*2. Modest change - (i) provide Ofcom with power to remove the absolute
restriction on advertising and*
*sponsorship where the local commercial station has rationalised local
production (ii) providing all community*
*stations with a disregard of up to £15,000 and where applicable before
applying the 50% rule on advertising*
*and sponsorship and (iii) allow Ofcom to extend Community Radio licences
for a third 5 year term.*
*3. More radical change - (i) remove the absolute rule and (ii) allow 60%
of income to be funded by*
*advertising and sponsorship*
*4. Full deregulation - Not considered as it would turn community radio
into commercial radio undermining*
*wider policy goals. Option 2 is the prefered option*