[cma-l] URGENT - Community Radio Consultation deadline Friday at 5pm

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Fri Jan 16 11:23:42 GMT 2015

Shane et al

I'll get round to this when I get five mins .... a bit manic a the moment
and when I'm writing e-mails I get behind on other stuff.

I suggest everyone reads my/our timeline from 2004 ...... I have always
maintained that a simple idea (ie   Community Radio)  has been made
difficult by allowing folk who have got nothing to do with 'Community' to
poke their noses in and interfere. These such 'people' are only interested
in lolly £££ and nailing peoples hats on and feeding us bland white wash
garbage and celebrity ....... Community Radio ought to have been celebrated.

You may argue ''well it has''    yes !   by us   and not the ones who should
be making things easier and better for us. Instead it has been like running
round the track in Gateshead and at 15 yard intervals someone in a grey suit
comes running out and chucks a 20 foot hurdle and water jump in front of
you.

I sum it up as before ......... don't use Black and White rules implemented
by Grey suits, use Grey area rules (allowing for common sense and room for
manoeuvre) implemented by sensible reasonable people in Black and White
suits.

I don't want anyone to take this to literally and I am not saying everyone
in the DCMS or Ofcom has taken leave of their senses, as they operate under
these rules as well and their hands are tied ..... but come on, for goodness
sake, let's have a bit of down to Earth eee-by-gum laymans common sense
simple talk and a simplistic way of applying these guidelines .... not
rules, but guidelines. At the end of the day Community Radio is abound with
rookies, novices, students, people with disabilities, community minded
people who have a tendency to trip up ... their hearts are in the right
place but there are hiccups ..... as long as the mistakes are not done
deliberately or in a sinister way then the authorities need to chill out a
bit and back off.

These are my thoughts for what they are worth.

Please note .... when you have just black and white rules then the easy
option to simply say ''NO'' to every suggestion becomes so straight-forward
... and of course a 'cop-out'

Regards

Nick