[cma-l] Ofcom announces trials to help small stations join digitalradio

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 25 11:19:30 GMT 2015

Ofcom is specific (page 11) as to the likely coverage and a cap of 100W ERP.That answers the "localness" question - Ofcom has said unofficially that it is envisaging coverage that will be on a par with a conventional well-planned 25W FM RSL
Let's not get too hung up on the "multiplex" aspect.Technically there is nothing to prevent a single service being radiated over a small area in a separate frequency block from the established local muxes.
Ofcom has now said it won't use 11A but will look for other locally-available frequencies dependent on existing Band III usage for other purposes - a sensible move.The only reason that I can see for specifying a mini-mux for the trials is to evaluate the multiplexing process - not to look at the commercial viability of the formula.But it was said at the meetings that it could provide an opportunity for an enterprising CR operation to offer coverage to commercial interests and thereby generate valuable revenue.I've had six separate messages this morning alone asking for advice and prices for installation - both for a trial and for a permanent service from existing CR operators, LPAMs and independent entrepreneurs.I feel Ofcom is likely to be swamped with Applications and may need to revise the scale of this trial.If so - surely a big opportunity for the CMA and its membership?