[cma-l] Ofcom announces trials to help small stations join digitalradio

David Duffy david at theradiopeople.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 01:23:03 GMT 2015

Hi Nick et al

Re your initial clutch of questions.  I’ve been looking at this today as we’ve already been contacted by a group with similar questions who want us to write their licence application.

The trial is open to community, commercial, internet services and 'potentially new entrants to the market'.  Ofcom’s assessment criteria however is quite clear; 'we will favour those applications that include a range of services, for example, a mix of community and commercial services’. So prepare to buddy-up!

As for what constitutes a community service?

Ofcom’s definition is 'any service provided by a licensed community radio broadcaster, whether that is a simulcast or another type of service; and any service provided by a not- for-profit internet-only broadcaster.’ All other services are considered ‘commercial’ services, including: services provided by a licensed commercial broadcaster; and any service provided by an internet-only broadcaster that is profit-distributing.

However, remember you will need to apply for and pay for a DSPS or DAS licence (£250+£100).

David Duffy
The Radio People

Email:        david at theradiopeople.co.uk <mailto:david at theradiopeople.co.uk>

Website:    www.theradiopeople.co.uk <http://theradiopeople.co.uk/>