[cma-l] Poor Reception

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 5 08:24:51 GMT 2015

The MD of a new and as yet unlaunched CR station called me yesterday to say that he'd had a few complaints from people in the town - not a mile from his brand new transmitter - that they could  hear the test transmissions well in the car - but couldn't get the station indoors.
I looked around for a positive way of counteracting this - and as I couldn't find anything suitable, I've written this for him:
“We
can hear you fine on the car – but not in the house.

Why’s
that?”

How
often have you heard that?

How do
you respond?

Have you got a feasible answer?

Modern
car radios are particularly good at dealing with small signals and are very selective
to reduce interference from unwanted stations.

Unfortunately,
small portable domestic radios – aren’t!

Listeners
aren’t going to want a long technical explanation – and certainly not a moan
about Ofcom not giving you enough power.

The important
point here is that they do actually want  to listen to you – but are finding it difficult.

So
what’s the answer?

Turn
what looks like a problem into a benefit.

The
logical procedure therefore is:

·
Make
it a personal approach to the listener

·
Arrange
a visit if you possibly can

·
Explain
very briefly that you’re doing all you can on your part to help with limited
resources.

·
Is
the radio a very simple cheap one? – Suggest an upgrade as it’s probably old as
well

·
Is
the antenna raised properly? – Move it around a bit and move the radio too.

·
Is
the radio obviously in a bad position for reception? – lots of walls or metal
objects between it and the transmitter – can it be relocated?

·
If
the radio is never moved – suggest a better mains-powered one.

·
If
it’s near a widow or vent – suggest a small external aerial.

·
Have
some details and prices of suitable ones – maybe some examples.

·
Have
an arrangement with local friendly aerial fitters and radio retailers.

·
Publicise
on air that you’re doing this.

·
Broadcast
endorsements from listeners you’ve helped.