[cma-l] National Voter Registration Day - Thursday 5th February 2015

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed Feb 4 17:27:40 GMT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------

[image: title-magenta]

[image: cid:image014.jpg at 01D03A3B.558A8FD0]

*Issue 3 –  27 January 2015*

*Resources! Resources! Resources! It’s nearly #NVRD!*

Hello all. Welcome to our latest update, which we’ve timed to give you all
some ideas about what you can do to promote National Voter Registration Day
(#NVRD) on Thursday 5 February next week.

We know that a lot of you will be focussing your activity online. So to
help, we have created a number of template resources that our partners and
Electoral Registration Officers can use on the day to show their support
for NVRD and help get people registered.

Check them out below:

·          *Social media – Facebook and Twitter*
<http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/word_doc/0016/181150/Social-media-Facebook-and-Twitter-posts-for-National-Voter-Registrat-Final.docx>*
– posts for NVRD (includes Welsh and English versions)*

·          *NVRD suggested blog*
<http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/word_doc/0016/181051/Suggested-blog-for-National-Voter-Registration-Day-FINAL.DOCX>*
– (English and Welsh versions) *

In addition, our popular YouTube advert – ‘Ballot Box man’ has had a
refresh so that it directs people to register at Gov.uk/register-to-vote

Ballot Box man ad (English):

http://youtu.be/aqgi2BzcrOc

Ballot Box man ad (Welsh):

http://youtu.be/6zd53zI3sHI

Young people in particular have found the ad fun in the past. So please do
post links to the video through Facebook and Twitter on National Voter
Registration Day.

Remember as well that our partnership pack
<http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/179552/UK-general-election-2015-partnership-pack.pdf>
provides some useful hints and tips if you are planning to hold a
registration drive on NVRD.

We’d love to know what your plans are for #NVRD. So do drop us a line if
you are planning anything in particular on or around the day. We’d love to
know and we can share your activities on our own social media accounts on
the day.

*Also, if there are any other template materials that you think may be
helpful to you, please get in touch and we can see if we can provide them.*

*Overseas campaign launch!*

Do you have staff, customers or even friends or family living overseas? If
they are UK citizens and were registered to vote before leaving the UK in
the last 15 years they are likely to still be able to vote at the General
Election in May.

On 2 February, the Commission will launch an online campaign across the 20
countries that UK expats are most likely to live to make them aware that
they may be able to vote and to encourage them to register to do so.
Partners such as British Corner Shop and The Connexion Newspaper are
already helping us reach out to this group of potential voters.

But we would welcome everyone’s help. So if you have channels that are
particularly focussed at UK citizens overseas, please do use them to spread
the word. Or if you just have friends or family members that have
emigrated, make sure they know they may still be able to vote. They can
found out more on www.aboutmyvote.co.uk.

As with our domestic campaign, we have prepared template resources for you
to use, which you can find here
<http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/electoral-registration/partnership-working/resources-for-partners/overseas-voters>

5 February is also Overseas Voter Registration Day, so do also use any
channels you have that are more focussed at people overseas to get the
message out there.

*Again, if there are any other template materials that you think may be
helpful to you to reach overseas voters in particular, please get in touch
and we can see if we can provide them.*

*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

*National advertising launch*

On 2 February our new national advertising campaign launches with a series
of online display adverts. These will highlight the fact that if potential
voters are not registered they will not be able to vote at the UK General
Election on 7 May and will drive people directly to the
gov.uk/register-to-vote page.

We will be testing various different adverts over the next few weeks to
find out which get the highest response rates. We will then focus on these
routes when our campaign activity increases from 16 March, which is when
our national TV advertising campaign will also launch.

*Updated resources*

We have published updated public awareness resources
<http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/electoral-registration/partnership-working/resources-for-partners/young-people>
to help you encourage people to register in time for the General Election.

They carry the ‘Your vote matters, make sure you’re in’ branding, which
we’re using across all our UKPGE activity. If you haven’t already, why not
put up posters in your offices and add a web button on your website, which
will send people directly to https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote?

[image: News in brief]

*Operation Black Vote launch campaign*

Operation Black Vote (OBV) have announced today – with 100 days until the
General Election – that they’ll be taking a 43 foot state-of-the-art bus on
tour across Great Britain to get more Black and Minority Ethnic communities
on the electoral register.