[cma-l] Community Radio Spot Rate

Paul Golder paul at pvg.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 09:39:16 GMT 2015

This is from my own experience:

- If you tell a company that your adverts are worth £300 a year, they'll
believe you.
- If you tell a company that your adverts are worth £3,000 a year, they'll
believe you. They might not be willing to pay for it, but they'll believe
it's worth it.

Although we all know that the lower the price, the higher the demand, it's
definitely NOT 10 times easier to sell for £300 than £3,000.  I can name
two former local community stations - TGR and Link FM - who got their
pricing wrong.  One advertised packages from £100 a year on their website.
Re the other, we were approached by a local company who were offended when
I asked them for £2,000 a year to sponsor a show as they were sponsoring
the equivalent show on the other station for £4 a week!

I rarely do deals for less than £1,000 unless it's for a short term
advertiser who can give me both the finished advert and the payment up
front.  It's just too much hassle.  Ignoring these occasional ones, my
average sale is now £4,000.  Other radio and newspapers locally have been
putting prices up too so we're lucky not to suffer from cut-throat
competition.  Oh, and get a salesman who DOESN'T want to be a superstar DJ
and does his job, it WILL pay for itself and more!

I've also found that the people who are likely to cause problems with
payments in the middle or end of a campaign are the ones who pay hundreds,
not thousands.  I don't know why - maybe if you pay a higher level you've
made a business decision and it's easier to justify sticking to it, whereas
if you pay a small figure you're expecting a much quicker return.
Definitely something to do with small businessman psychology.

A lot of local businesses believe that if you charge low prices, you're
telling them that even YOU don't think it's worth much, and whether that's
fair or not I tend to agree with them.

Apologies to those stations who do charge low prices because I know there's
a variety of other reasons why you could do that and that it would work for
you - it wouldn't work for us though.

Cheers
Paul
www.phoenixfm.com