[cma-l] 4ZZZ & born to fail

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 13:34:47 GMT 2015

I thought I was a miserable old pessimist Tony - but you're obviously much better at it than me.Just a few points:The awful term "Sallie" - allegedly short for "Small Scale Alternative Location Local Licence" is often used by the unenlightened to describe stand-alone commercial stations - whereas none as far as I can find were ever put in place under that scheme.
Ofcom requires a detailed Business Plan in a CR Application - so, as it's fact, it's feasible - regardless of the form of animal husbandry at that location.
We all know how local commercial licences have been traded, but that's irrelevant with Community Radio.There are currently 236 CR stations on air, only 7 of which are on AM, 7 with licences have yet to launch and 21 have failed out of a total of 281 licences awarded.
Agreed, some are run as a hobby and few are operating with a sensible level of business income.
But there are a few which are doing the job successfully and there are moves afoot to spread their expertise for the benefit of the others.
That, I suggest, is a positive side to the argument.

Ian Hickling
Partner

Office: 01635 578435  (7am-11pm UK time)Carphone: 07530 980115 (only responds when driving)6 Horn Street, Compton, NEWBURY, RG20 6QS