[cma-l] Community Media Association Elects New Chair, Deputy Chair, and Treasurer

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Mon Dec 7 10:31:55 GMT 2015

On Saturday 5th December 2015 the Community Media Association elected a new
Executive. Lucinda Guy of Soundart Radio is the new Chair, Hannah Parry
from Swindon Viewpoint is Deputy Chair, and Martin Steers of Scout Radio is
Treasurer.

Lucinda Guy says “It is an incredible honour to be elected Chair of the
Community Media Association, an organisation with over 30 years history of
campaigning for and supporting community broadcasters in the UK.

It has been some years since the CMA was last chaired by a woman, and I
hope that the appointment of both Hannah and I sends a positive message to
other women in media, who can at times feel under-represented.

Community media in all its forms is the most powerful and effective tool we
have to improve society. It is about the voices of the many and not the
few, and the diversity of our sector cannot be represented by only one or
two individuals. I am therefore mindful of our responsibilities to the
thousands of volunteers and millions of listeners who make community media
happen.

My experience includes running a licensed community radio station for
nearly ten years, developing projects with other voluntary organisations,
and talking to community media people around the world, exchanging
programmes and ideas. I look forward to working with the CMA council, staff
and members to benefit the wider community broadcasting sector.”

Hannah Parry says “I am delighted to be elected Deputy Chair of the CMA. I
have good general knowledge of third sector issues and organisations and
have gained governance experience over a period of 5 years through
previously serving on the voluntary management boards of 3
charitable/not-for-profit organisations in roles including Trustee,
Director and Chair. I look forward to supporting Lucinda in her role as
Chair of the CMA and taking the CMA forward to meet the opportunities and
challenges facing the community media sector.”

Martin Steers: "It is a honour to take over the role as Treasurer in this
current time for the CMA, one that is full of opportunity and energy for
the CMA council and the sector as a whole. I look forward to working with
Lucinda, Hannah and the rest of the Council to see the CMA grow and
develop, and provide more and better services and opportunities for our
members.

It has been a tough time financially for the CMA and the community media
sector in general and whilst I feel we have turned a corner and have seen
great improvements, I think that there is still room for development. I
look forward to working with a strong CMA that can continue to grow and
thrive to support its members and the wider sector.

In addition to an understanding and experience of finance, I am also
experienced in funding applications, with particular experience in matching
project objectives to organisation resources. I feel this experience could
be of particular benefit to the organisation as it re-engages with project
delivery. I also want to look at the wider development of income streams
both for the CMA and the sector as a whole, and I would like the CMA to
take a lead on looking at income generation, grant funding, and finance for
itself, its members and the community media sector."

Javed Sattar, long-standing CMA member and CMA Director comments “As an
organisation the CMA has always shown diversity and equality and I offer my
congratulations to our new chair, Lucinda Guy, as she follows in the
footsteps of our previous chairs. Lucinda will be supported by Hannah Parry
in her role as Deputy Chair - an all female Chair and Deputy Chair is a
first for our organisation. And congratulations also to Martin Steers as
Treasurer who will assist in taking the CMA forward for the members and
truly leading the sector."

Bill Best, Operations Manager at the CMA, says “I look forward to working
with a renewed CMA Council Executive. I congratulate the new Executive
Officers and extend my thanks to previous holders of these posts for their
hard work and dedication. The new team has got some exciting ideas for
taking the organisation forward to improve sustainability of the CMA, its
members and the wider community media sector”.

ENDS / NOTES FOR EDITORS

The Community Media Association (CMA) is the national representative body
for community media. It is a not-for-profit organisation founded in 1983
and advocates for the community broadcasting sector to key stakeholders
such as Government.

Membership consists of established organisations, aspirant groups and
individuals within the sector. The CMA provides a range of advice,
information and consultancy, offering support to anyone with an interest in
community broadcasting.

For more information contact Bill Best, Community Media Association on 0114
279 5219. Website: http://www.commedia.org.uk/

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation

Canstream Internet Radio & Video