[cma-l] Stations under investigation by Ofcom - update

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue Apr 28 12:53:36 BST 2015

Just for info I also recently protested to Ofcom about their severe change to debt chasing procedures regarding licences. They will now immediately start the in-breach investigation process for any licence holder that has not paid their broadcasting/wrt licenes within 30 days of invoice, rather than issue further payement reminders after the 30 days.

I was concerned at the effect particularly if, say, a Direct Debit request faled because of a change of bank details. Ofcom says it shouldn't be a problem because: "if payment is not received by the payment deadline we will launch an investigation into the matter in accordance with our General procedures for investigating breaches of broadcast licences ... We will write to the relevant broadcaster with our Preliminary View that the licence condition relating to payment of licence fees has been breached. The licensee will then have an opportunity to make representations to Ofcom before we reach a final decision as to whether a breach of the licence has occurred. Therefore, if, for example a licensee provided evidence that a direct debit payment failed due to a bank error, we would be unlikely to record a breach."

Just a heads-up for next time you get an Ofcom invoice!

Alex