[cma-l] Norway to switch off FM in 2017

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 22 09:10:03 BST 2015

I have to confess that the use of the phraseology ".....to switch off FM" typifies to me the level of comprehension of the situation in the Media.

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 14:23:22 +0100
From: ravensound at pilgrimsound.co.uk
To: cma-l at mailman.commedia.org.uk
Subject: Re: [cma-l] Norway to switch off FM in 2017

    I recall quite a few years ago, when
      one of my daughters was living in Glasgow, that the border areas
      were a radio desert - no FM and the BBC had engineered the long
      wave to have a mush zone due to a (mistaken in my opinion) need to
      synchronise the various transmitters.  Now, although radio is
      carried on every platform available, it still doesn't get
      everywhere!  Interestingly, the Nordic reference to keeping band 3
      for tv also makes economic sense when you are using tv channels
      for digital radio services.  Having DAB on band 3 doesn't, which
      was presumably why L band was proposed.  The best place for DAB if
      you must have it is actually band 2.

      Regards,  Tony Bailey