[cma-l] Ofcom publishes applications for small scale DAB trials

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Thu Apr 16 15:40:00 BST 2015

Is that really why the trial was originated? Surely it was always intended to be for small commercial stations as much as community radio licensees. Introducing the consultation Ofcom said it was intended to address the fact that there are "around 150 small scale radio and 200 or more community radio stations and for them the existing multiplex structure just doesn’t work." The consultation also said explicitly that the preferred mix of stations on the trial multiplexes would be commercial plus community.

We are a small scale commercial station (in fact the smallest), and could very easily have set up a trial as we own and control two suitable transmission sites with readily available audio feeds at both, and a high level in-house IT expertise, but the trial ran the risk of leaving participants high and dry at the end of the trial with significant sunk expense and time, not to mention creating a listener expectation that they could not continue to meet at the end of the trial. For us of course the most sensible partner on the multiplexes would have been the BBC (since they don't have space on their own multiplexes for the Scottish national services).

But I'm with certainly in hoping that the trial doesn't become dominated by commercial interests or ends up just being used by large stations to negotiate lower costs with their existing over-priced providers. I don't think Ofcom shoudl have offered a confidentiality option on the applications - that seems wholly inappropriate for a publicly funded trial of this nature.

Alex