[cma-l] BBC Trust service review: Music Radio Consultation

Alan Coote alan.coote at 5digital.co.uk
Fri Sep 12 10:38:52 BST 2014

The cynic in me says this is one of several dozen PR initiatives the BBC are
carrying out before their charter review.

However, during my time with the BBC (many moons ago) we were very
interested in what people thought, we were even obsessed. But acting on it
is another matter.

When people communicate with the BBC they can be under the misapprehension
that they have the full attention of the presenter, producer or editor; in
essence the decision maker. This is not the case as there are often many
layers of management and stake holders in the BBC who need to be 'in the
loop'.

I've sat in numerous production meetings, sometimes with over a dozen
people, many of which had their own agendas. One of the BBC's values is to
'put the audience first' which, in my experience, doesn't always happen.

While the BBC may be rubbish at acting on 'bottom up' audience feedback,
they are very good at implementing 'top down' initiatives. Not only will you
see Radio, TV and Web cross programming, you'll also see broader projects on
science, sport and currently politics.

I don't see this as different from any organisation that's been in existence
for 90 years.

Kind Regards

Alan

 <http://www.letstalkbusinessonline.com/> Hear Alan Every Week on Let's Talk
Business The UK's Premier Radio Programme For Current and Future
Entrepreneurs - Now Broadcast To 4.3 Million People

Email -  <mailto:alan.coote at 5digital.co.uk> alan.coote at 5digital.co.uk

Phone - 0800 949 6655

Mobile - 07801 518858

Twitter -  <http://www.twitter.com/TheAlanCoote> @TheAlanCoote

Web -  <http://www.5digital.co.uk/> http://www.5digital.co.uk

cid:image001.gif at 01CE03CD.223AC920

The Media Production, Broadcasting and Training Company